Photo
- - - - -

How do you tell a friend not to bring someone..

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:41 PM

So I have a dilemma....

I have this friend that I am inviting to the wedding but do not want them to being their on again and off again person to the wedding.

I don't like what is happening between them and that persons actions to be honest.

Is it allowed to tell them that? Or if I want them there i have to allow who ever they wish to bring?

#2 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:50 AM

Do not add plus guest to their invitation. If the person RSVPs for two, politely inform that a guest cannot be accomodated.

#3 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:02 PM

Do not add plus guest to their invitation. If the person RSVPs for two, politely inform that a guest cannot be accomodated.

Nice.... That is what I shall do!

#4 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:12 PM

On reading about invitation etiquette, I had read that it is not proper to bring a guest if the invitation does not include one.

#5 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:23 AM

I think that i'll make sure to word it right so that they do not bring that person with them

#6 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,153 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:42 AM

You might have to suck it up...meaning for 1 night, albeit special for you...you can't have other people as "couples" then turn around and have her fly solo...she'll know right quick sumthn fishy is goin' on and you might cause future problems with her...the main thing Is you have her there with you...bite the bullet with your feelings and leter bring the asshole...it's your wedding...deal with her "issues" after

The most important thing is that your friend actually goes to be with you on your special day...tell her what's the deal AFTER the honeymoon...the rest will handle itself...:coffee:

#7 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,422 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:44 PM

I'd say tell them that due to finances that many people were invited without dates.

I don't think I"ve ever gotten an invite that said 'and guest'....It's prtty much the norm now

#8 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:53 PM

I'm torn. One of our friends we invited, we didn't want him bringing his on and off again woman to the wedding, but didn't want to just put his name and not "and guest". We ended up sucking it up and put his name plus guest, and he didn't even end up bringing her, so, it all worked out. :)

#9 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:26 AM

You might have to suck it up...meaning for 1 night, albeit special for you...you can't have other people as "couples" then turn around and have her fly solo...she'll know right quick sumthn fishy is goin' on and you might cause future problems with her...the main thing Is you have her there with you...bite the bullet with your feelings and leter bring the asshole...it's your wedding...deal with her "issues" after

The most important thing is that your friend actually goes to be with you on your special day...tell her what's the deal AFTER the honeymoon...the rest will handle itself...:coffee:

Don't assume it's a girlfriend that this about. :wink:

I'm very torn about what to do.... This persons guest tends to get way to drunk and make a jerk of themselves.

I think I'm going to ask them not to bring that person. I don't want to take the chance of that person making an issue in front of my husbands boss.

#10 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,772 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:35 AM

Just be honest with them. It's your day. Say, "I really want you to be there because you are important to me. But, I have to be honest... I would really prefer it if you came solo or did not have X as your date for my wedding. No disrespect, Ilove you and you can make your own relationship choices, but I've been around X too many times when they've been drunk and I really don't want to deal with that on my wedding day."

#11 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,153 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:38 AM

Don't assume it's a girlfriend that this about. :wink:

I'm very torn about what to do.... This persons guest tends to get way to drunk and make a jerk of themselves.

I think I'm going to ask them not to bring that person. I don't want to take the chance of that person making an issue in front of my husbands boss.

Ohhhh...yeah...that changes it then...go with the one about finance issues so just bring yo'self thing...yes definitely...go with that one then :funny1:

For real...much different than what I was thinking...he shouldn't go then...or she :funny1:

#12 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:33 PM

Sean, I think that is well said and I'll have to have a heart to heart with that person.

I really can not imagine that person not being there. They are very dear to me.
But yeah the "guest" is terrible when drunk. I don't want the drama that usually comes with this person.

Thank you all for your input it has been a great help!

#13 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,393 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:01 PM

I would remove yourself from the situation. You're the bride and don't need to be dealing with this shit. Talk to your maid of honor or another attendee and say, "hey, you know so and so whose FB is an asshat when their drunk? I'd rather they not attend the wedding. Could you make that happen for me."

#14 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,589 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:43 PM

Now if we could only get it to not come to shows!

#15 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:30 PM

Well I'm printing up the invitations and sending them out at this month.

So I'll see how this person handles this