Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:30 PM

I would think Blistex is too "burny"

#4 jen s

jen s
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:39 PM

is he licking his lips a lot?

I have this lip moisturizer from Nivea that i bought at CVS. its pretty good.

#5 LHW

LHW
  • VibeTribe
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:54 PM

Unpatroleum for the lips and Aquaphor for the area that is chapped around his lips. My daughter licks her lips alot and the whole area gets so red. This has helped alot!

#6 shadeelady

shadeelady
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:13 PM

i use the burts bees one for Miles....not exactly on his lips, but he constantly has his tongue hanging out of his mouth licking the out side corner, so he always has a raw spot next to his mouth.

#7 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:40 PM

Maya LOVES chapstick of any sort. He might get a huge kick out of it and liberally apply it, therefore helping the chapped lips.

I always put chapstick on before bed so it has all night to moisturize and help the chapped-ness. :wink:

#8 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:59 PM

99% of lip balms are going to be petrolatum based.... there is some data that indicates that constant usage will prevent lips from making their own oils to help chapped lips (however nothing has really been proven either way) -- at best petrolatum is just a "band aid" bc it doesn't add to the moisture in lips it just prevent the evaporation of whatever moisture is there

burt's bees makes a few non-petrolatum lip balm and they are available basically everywhere for a good price (I think $5 ish)

I like the honey one but if its too "tasty" he will lick it off his lip more which causes more chapping

http://www.burtsbees...y-lip-balm.html

#9 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:09 PM

I use BoggleKng's lip balms

#10 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

A little Bag Balm

#11 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,145 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:38 AM

Coconut oil? I haven't used it myself for that yet, but every week it seems I find a new way to use it.

#12 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:11 PM

I hear coconut oil is the bomb. I need to invest in some!

#13 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,145 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:47 PM

Yup- I've been using it as a balm since posting in this thread. You would definitely need to reapply it often, especially on a child, but it sure works well. I'm super sick, so I've been using on my sore nose, and it really helps. I use it on everything now, my hair, my face, dry spots on my body. And a little bit goes a long way.

#14 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,435 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:29 PM

coconut oil is awesome for everything

my cousins all love burts bees!

making sure he drinks enough water will keep his lips from chapping

#15 Guest_Again and Again_*

Guest_Again and Again_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:24 PM

we use chap stick. he loves the flavored ones.

#16 cj

cj

canadian, eh!

• VibeTribe
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:16 PM

we tried having jeremy carry his own chapstick, but we kept finding it, lidless, in random places. :rolleyes: so now, he doesn't use anything regularly. once in a while his lips get really bad, like if he has been sick and can't breathe through his nose. when that happens, i use my carmex on him -- that stuff works wonders. he went from having raw, peeling, cracked lips to back to normal in about 5 days. i put it on him two times during the day and then once when he was sleeping. he protested, but even he couldn't argue with the results.

#17 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:50 PM

I use BoggleKng's lip balms

i love his lemon lip balm! and his antibacterial cream is AMAZING for sore, red nose healing when you've got a bad cold. :heart:

#18 annieL

annieL
  • VibeTribe
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:56 PM

I think vaseline is the way to go. Chap stick will only make it worse. I scoop some out and put it in a little twist top container and keep it in my purse.

#19 mylightning2

mylightning2
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,771 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:25 PM

Just go to the local co-op or health food store and buy something that's made with herbs, olive oil, shea butter, and beeswax (or something of that nature). Stay away from any of that Chapstick brand/Blistex/Carmex/etc. junk. It's full of garbage that only makes one need more, it's nothing but a scam.

My Pops is old and stubborn, never listens to anything I say. I told him to stop using Chapstick, which he's been using forever. He said something like, "I'm not using that hippie shit." Meanwhile he's applying Chapstick all damn day:funny1:.

I had some killer lip balm my lunatic Friend from Maine made. All wild-crafted herbs and olive oil, 1 stick lasted me a year+, I barely had to use it and I was out on the water and in the elements all the time in those days.