Photo
- - - - -

My Sister-in law is getting married, do I have to go?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_Pat

Mr_Pat

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 7,013 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:56 PM

OK here is the deal. We are in Cheyenne WY, they are in Boston. They are getting married in June and of course we are invited, between having to buy 4 plane tickets and a weeked in boston it will cost 1800-2600 bucks to go to her wedding. (and then we are allready have a trip planned to the North East for July/Aug.

Now here is the kicker... she didnt come to our because she was in Syracuse NY and we got married CT and that it was "to far":rolleyes: But she did sent us two nice coffee mugs:coffee: as a wedding gifts.

#2 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,881 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:08 PM

obviously not :)

#3 Sunny Sunshine

Sunny Sunshine
  • VibeTribe
  • 653 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:11 PM

I'd say no. Send a gift and that's it. You have no reason to travel and spend so much money if you really can't afford it.

#4 Mr_Pat

Mr_Pat

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 7,013 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:11 PM

Thats what I was thinking.

#5 HoopsTer

HoopsTer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:16 PM

i guess it depends how close your wife is with her sister. Was your wife upset with her sister about missing your wedding?
What kind of wedding is your SOL having?
Didnt you get married at a rave? That doesnt exactly seem like a wedding that family would be too excited about- no offense.

If I had a sister and she didnt come to my wedding, I would be heartbroken and would have a hard time forgiving her (depending on the circumstances).
Then again, I wouldnt have missed my sisters wedding.

#6 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,402 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:18 PM

um not at all. If your wife would like to to I could see that, but the whole family is way too much...and if she couldnt' come to your wedding you have no obligation to go to hers.

but please be sure to send her the exact same mugs for her wedding!

#7 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:51 PM

You could send her two nice coffee mugs?

The invite was a courtesy invite. You could buy a gift if she is registered if not maybe send a check.

#8 wabbit

wabbit
  • VibeTribe
  • 785 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:58 PM

I agree with geminimoon in that it might have been a courtesy invite-- I had people that knew couldn't come, but also knew that they would have been horribly hurt if I didn't at least include them with an invitation. I would definitely urge your wife to go on her own if she is really eager to, that would be a nice family vaca for her--

#9 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:06 PM

Yea, definately not, unless your wife really wants to.

#10 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:21 PM

one of my sisters didn't come to my wedding. it wasn't the money though, but that's another story.

perhaps just your wife could go?

#11 Dr. Lostreality

Dr. Lostreality
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:42 PM

I would say she should go but you should stay home.

#12 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,865 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:09 AM

OK here is the deal. We are in Cheyenne WY, they are in Boston. They are getting married in June and of course we are invited, between having to buy 4 plane tickets and a weeked in boston it will cost 1800-2600 bucks to go to her wedding. (and then we are allready have a trip planned to the North East for July/Aug.

Now here is the kicker... she didnt come to our because she was in Syracuse NY and we got married CT and that it was "to far":rolleyes: But she did sent us two nice coffee mugs:coffee: as a wedding gifts.

I think if Topo is okay with not going, I would just use the same 'it's too far' claim and send some lovely coffee mugs :wink:

If your wife really feels she wants to go, perhaps you just might have to suck it up?

#13 twirly jill

twirly jill
  • VibeTribe
  • 115 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:24 PM

i think your wife should go if she wants, but not the whole family, esp if you're all going east soon after.

my brother didn't go to my sister's wedding. he was in boston and she was in seattle. it was basically the last straw for my sister, who went out of her way for my brother's wedding, wearing the gross big pink bridesmaids dress, etc.

#14 Drop_o_Rain

Drop_o_Rain

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:00 PM

It sounds like you might still be hurt that she didn't come to your wedding. I would say that your wife should go and bring a nice gift too.